Monday, July 2, 2012

Relay


     Lately, I feel I'm on the outside of the curve of things. Like I have to make a stand on something, and the stand I am making is unpopular. This is just one of those things. Do you remember a few months back, The Susan B. Komen foundation and Planned Parenthood was in the news? The Komen foundation had been giving grants to P.P. for women's breast health. They ended their partnership with P.P. because P.P. was under investigation by congress for book keeping issues. When S.B.K. asked P.P. to account for grants that they received, they were unable to provide them with that information. So they stopped giving them money. The liberal left jumped into action and started donating to P.P. and more than made up the difference. Then S.B.K. caved to the media and began accepting applications from P.P. once again.
    Turns out, there is not a mamagram machine in any P.P. clinic anywhere in the country. When asked about this, they said that they refer women to other health facilities. Really? They take money for something and then tell the clients to go to another health facility. Does that money go with them? I started thinking about the irony involved here. There has been proven to be a link between abortion and breast cancer. http://abortionbreastcancer.com . Miscarriage also increases the chances of breast cancer.
     For the past 3 years, I have been involved in my church's Relay For Life Team. The last 2 as a co-captain of the team. We as a team have grown larger every year, and were able to increase the amount of money were raised for The American Cancer Society. Sitting in a monthly meeting a couple of months ago, I noticed that a speaker had started spending more time talking about joining a legislative action group, in order to put pressure on our politicians concerning funding cancer research. It cost $10 to join that legislative group. Stem cell research is what was going through my mind as she spoke.
     After the meeting, I went home and googled 'Is the American Cancer Society Pro-life?" I found this website http://all.org./charities , with this information. The American Cancer Society is not considered a pro-life organization for the following reasons:
1. Support for human embryonic stem cell

2. Grant funding at facilities known prominently for human   embryonic

3. Grant funding for morally questionable research

4. Grant funding to Planned Parenthood

5. Referrals to Planned Parenthood as a health information/education resource

6. Donations to the Lance Armstrong LiveStrong Global Cancer Campaign (see entry for LiveStrong)

7. Failure to acknowledge the link between previously induced abortion and risk for breast cancer

8. Suggested fertility options including IVF, embryo freezing, egg/sperm donation and surrogacy.

     My personal objections are for 1-7. As far as #8, I have a close friend that would not have been able to give birth if it were not for IVF. And I would have been a surrogate for her if it had ever come down to it. Also, I don't understand why IVF wouldn't be considered prolife. To me, its all about making life.
      After reading several different resources on the web, I came to the conclusion that this would have to be my last year participating in Relay. I am very strongly Pro-Life, and I don't even want $.02 of every dollar I raise to go towards 1-7. After processing what I found out for a few days, I knew that I couldn't even finish out this years Relay. I did turn all the money in that I had raised up to that point, stopped asking for more donations, and stepped down and out of the team.
      I will continue to minister to the sick, make meals, clean house, and bring people to appts. See the need, fill the need. I will, from now on, check out organizations before I invest my time, and money into them, to make sure they represent my value system. ..... Just Saying....

1 comment:

  1. Well this is what research on a topic will do for ya...help you make an informed decision about about what want to support and be a part of. I found this blog to be very informative...thank you! I've always said you were a detective extraordinaire when it comes to information!

    ReplyDelete