Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pay It Forward Connections.

Whats next? Prayer. I think there will be much more prayer time in my future. This country, We The People, will depend on it. I will also continue to write about things that I am passionate about. I have decided, (all you cat lovers will appreciate this), that I will probably not be writing about my disdain for cats. After writing about churches and this year's election, I have felt that the subject of 'CATS' would be way too controversial.

I will be getting back to my "Bucket List" dated 7/10/12. Today I am one step closer to debt freedom as I have paid off my personal loan. So now it's down to one credit card and the mortgage. On paper, it will be in 8 years. #2 on that list was to learn to horseback ride. I have had only one lesson since writing that. My back went out a couple of weeks ago, so I need to get that straight, (pun intended) before the lessons resume.

#10 on the list was, ...be in full time ministry. I want to start a ministry that brings people together to help each other, all the while pointing them to Jesus. Knowledge of salvation is free. The ministry is based on the fact that everyone has a gift or skill that someone else can use, and those that are gifted and skilled also have needs that others can fulfill. Those who accept help will be expected to sign a contract to help others when needs arise. No outright handouts. Not a social program. No entitlements. I have decided not to wait to start this until I'm debt free. I see the needs being too great. I won't be able to do it full time, but it will get started. I have been calling it Pay It Forward Connections. That name may already be copyrighted or trademarked. I need to check all that out.

I hope to a have small businesses donate time, materials or both to the ministry by way of a promise.

Here, is an example of how this will work:

Joe the plumber has promised to donate x amount of parts and labor to the ministry. Ministry gets a call from a mom who's husband is deployed. She has a plumbing issues that she just can't fix or afford to deal with. Joe will take care of the issue and write off expenses. Mom has signed a contract that commits her, time, and or talents to the problem that someone else in the network may have. For instance, She may be an awesome cook. Maybe she could be called on to prepare food for Joe, or someone else in the network should the need arise. Maybe there is an elderly person that needs occasional rides to appts., or their house needs cleaning, but they can iron or mend clothes. Maybe someone is unable to mow their lawn, but is able to babysit a couple of kids. Someone else may able donate grocery store gift cards for when people have those lean times, but don't have time to rake their leaves. Someone could be a computer whiz, while being totally ignorant how to live within a budget. They could be linked up with someone who's problem is the opposite. People don't have to give and take from the same people, but there is a source that they can pull from.

The list could go on and on. We all have gifts and talents. Most of us would help in a situation if we knew and were able to. This will be a network that will connect people. The contract will not be a legal document. It's a promise to do what you can, when you can. However, if you don't seem willing to meet the expectations in the contract, once you have received help, you will be dropped from the network. This will not be a simple handout. Not another social program. It can be done better than the government.

20 years ago I was told by a counselor that I was codependent. The result of growing up in an alcoholic family. One of the traits of the co-dependent is to try to fix things all the time. Fix people all the time. To take control, because growing up you have no control over what is happening around you. I have decided not to look at that as being a negative quality. I choose to think of myself as a 'find a need and fill it' type person. Proverbs 3:27,28; "Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you"—when you already have it with you.


This will be a Hands and Feet of Jesus ministry. Because...He is Still On The Throne.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, you ever need help with this you better call me. Because this is something I've had in my heart for a while now. Just saying. with a g ;)

    ReplyDelete